28 January, 2009

Mommy neuroses

Ever notice how many warnings regarding your children well-being come at you and somehow lodge in your psyche? Lead in toys, plastic in bottles, hormones in milk, germs on that stale gum stuck to the floor. In my quest to be conscientious I tend to go off the deep end, so more often than not I'm trying to silence the nagging feeling in my head that the yogurt I give them now will result in male breast cancer later in life.

This week I've been fighting back my internet "education" on two such topics--immunizations and crawling. I'm actually pretty strong on shots--I've read a lot of research and have come to the informed decision that they won't cause autism (you may disagree with me, but that's not what this post is about). I even opt for those lesser immunizations like varicella ("this one's so I won't get chicken disease, right mom? "sniff" [Bridger]) and even occasionally the flu shot. But, yesterday after my 10-month-old was poked three times, I still couldn't stop myself from testing her to see if she still had all her tricks (clapping, waving). She hasn't even had the MMR yet, which is the one blamed for autism. Somehow, though, I still can't just let it be.

Then there's crawling. Eilidh's been scooting, army-crawling and worming herself across the floor like lightening for several months. She's now walking along furniture and in danger of skipping that all-important cross body coordination of regular crawling. Seriously I've heard so many ridiculously conflicting anecdotes about this milestone. Many people claim they skipped crawling and are obviously high-functioning adults. Then there are these stories of kids who supposedly hit some educational plateau at age 8 or 9 and they finally figure out that it's because they didn't crawl correctly. So their parents have to re-teach them and then they're back on track. I find this fairly silly, but somehow I've still been working with Eilidh on her crawling. She can do it, but most of the time chooses not to.

"Sigh" I think the voices in my head are silenced for another day...

5 comments:

Daisy said...

you are hilarious!

And, although there is no direct link b/t autism and immunizations, there is growing support for the theory that some children are more predisposed to autism based on the way their bodies react to the environment, and the onslaught of shots just prove to be too much, and they end up developing the disease. More of a "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of theory.

Daisy said...

That being said, I have immunized all of my kids on schedule.

Rachel said...

I think there's probably validity to that theory. I should probably change my post to "I have decided that shots won't cause autism in MY kids" because they don't seem to be predisposed to any autoimmune stuff and we don't have any family history, etc. etc. Thanks for the comments, though.

Anonymous said...

OK, so you know I HAVE to "chime in" on this whole Autism and shots thing since I am immersed in the autism community. One thing I can tell you to put your mind at ease...the overwhelming majority of research by doctors who are worth their salt says that immunizations, do NOT, in fact CAUSE autism.
That being said...you are a wonderful mom and your kids will grow up to be healthy, smart and strong, loving and caring people because of all you are doing for them now!:)

Catherine said...

Amen to your post! And let's not forget the whole worry about holding your baby too much. Right now I will occasionally hold Maggie while she's sleeping in the evenings, during her fussy time. And while I love the snuggle time, I am often wracked with the worry that she will grow up to be needy, fussy and co-dependent because of it. But then I realize that she still falls asleep on her own ninety percent of the time, likes being by herself on the floor, gets the opportunity to cry without immediate responses from me every day, and is sleeping through the night, and I can convince myself, however temporarily, that she'll be okay.