18 September, 2008

6 months of Eilidh

Eilidh turned six months old today and tips the scales at a whopping 18 pounds, 6 ounces--exactly 10 pounds more than at birth. We'll be introducing solids sometime within the next month, but I would like to take a moment to mention that all that girth has come without even a taste of anything but breastmilk.

Why is that important to me? Because so much of motherhood is completely unquantifiable--am I responsible for Bridger's athleticism? Asher's tantrums? Eilidh's sleep habits? Partly, but there are other factors as well. However, this is mine. I mean, not only did I house and grow her from conception, but I've been her sole nourishment for six months. I can take the credit for this--at least the human part of this because pregnancy and babies are such miracle. I'm sure the days are coming when I will feel inadequate about so many things (I certainly do with the boys), but I take some small comfort knowing that as of right now, I've given her all that is humanly possible.

Look at those tootsie-roll arms!

4 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Happy six month birthday, sweet Eilidh and way to go mama!

Lee Ann said...

Rachel,
Hey! What beautiful babies you have! I didn't know you guys even had a third...she's so sweet. And good job with the milk. Must be mighty tasty. :)

Daisy said...

I remember having the same feeling with mine. Before starting on solids, I would look at them and think,"This baby is the product of my body" Of course I knew that it was all possible because of the grace of God in growing them, but everything physical that nourished them from a tiny embryo to that point was from my own body. And that is amazing.

chaps said...

You are right! Tootsie ROLLS!! Love 'em!!! Good job Momma!