03 April, 2007

Emerging craziness

So, this isn't normal fare for my blog, but I heard something today that I just had to write about. I caught a sound bite on the radio about the Southern Baptist Convention saying they would not support any church that would allow R-rated movies. This intrigued me so I googled it tonight and found this article that is frankly quite frightening.

The gist is that this influential Southern Baptist is coming out against any sort of "emerging" church, which is a really broadly-used and generally misunderstood term. Even though we in Missoula are quite unconventional, we would hesitate to plant roots in the "emerging" camp as the term is really confusing and can go really overboard. However, this particular leader appears to be mostly concerned with alcohol and R-rated movies--not a thing about the gospel. No wonder people are scared of the church!

No comments: